Recently I was facing a weird error while trying to install MySQL Community server on a Windows 10 system.
Every time I start the MySQL Community installer and select MySQL server and try to install, It used to successfully download the setup file from internet but at the end it used to fail.
Usually progress percent used to go from 0 to 100% then again used to restart from 0% and used to go till 50% and then it used to show the error message as installation failed.
I googled out a lot and found many places which suggested to install both Microsoft Visual c++ redistributable for both x86 and x64. My system was a 64 bit system, I installed both the visuall c++ distribution but none of them worked even after rebooting system after every install.
What finally worked was this:
1. I wantedly started MySQL installer web and tried installing MySQL server (version 8.0, earlier had tried 5.7 also).
2. Wantedly waited for the installation to fail.
4. Went to the folder C:\ProgramData\MySQL Installer for Windows\Product Cache. (ProgramData folder might be hidden, enable visibility of hidden file)
5. Selected the .exe file with name mysql-8.0.17-win64.exe and tried installing it again by double clicking that file.
6. But during this time at the time of selection, I selected custom install and excluded the "Server Data Files" while the dialog box was showing which all modules to install.
7. This time it installed well.
8. Once the installation completed. I went back to MySQL installer. Now MySQL server 8.0.17 was showing up. I clicked on reconfigure and went ahead with initial configuration and password setup of the MySQL server.
Hope this helps you save your infinite search to find solution to this known MySQL bug..
I am thankful to Peter (https://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=89066) who posted this solution which I found after two days of rigorous search.